By law, you have seven years after completing service to use your education award funds. The period begins the date you complete your term of service in AmeriCorps. This time limit may be extended if certain circumstances have prevented the award from being used during this time period.

These circumstances can include:

  • Performing another term of service in AmeriCorps or the Peace Corps during the seven year period; or
  • Being unavoidably prevented from using the award during the seven-year period. Examples of unavoidable situations which may warrant extensions include serious illness or disability, military service, death of a family member, or important service records being destroyed or inaccessible by the program. Any period of incarceration as a result of a conviction of a criminal offense will not be considered an unavoidable situation.

You must request the extension in writing before the end of the seven-year period. The request can be either by mail or can be made electronically. A notice will be mailed to all members prior to the end of their seven-year period reminding them of the expiration of their awards.

For further information on how to request this extension, contact the National Service Trust toll-free at 1-800-942-2677.

Enter Keywords to Find Resources:



Find us on Facebook


Have Feedback or Questions?

Email Us

Back to Top