AmeriCorps VISTA and NCCC members can enroll in multiples terms of service that add up to the value of two full-time education awards. In other words, you can blend summer, part-time, and full-time service positions and receive awards as long as the combined service terms don't exceed two full terms. (You can also serve without receiving an Education Award up to a maximum number of terms outlined below.)
NOTE: Changes in the amount of the award will not grant you additional eligibility. If you received two full-time education awards worth $5,815, you cannot serve additional terms even though the amount has increased.
- If you wish to enroll in a new term that exceeds your eligibility, you can do so and receive a pro-rated award. The amount of the award will be determined by the full-time award amounts in the years you served and will bring your total awards to the amount of two full-time awards.
- If you exit a term "for cause" and do not receive an award, it counts as term of eligibility. For example, if you leave midway through a full-time service terms and don't receive an award, you lose a full-time term of future eligibility. The same is true with part-time and summer service terms.
- If you receive full or partial education awards from a parent, grandparent, or foster parent, the amount you receive will diminish your ability to receive awards in the future through your own service. More information is available in the Transferability section.
Maximum Number of Terms
In blending summer, part-time, and full-time terms, you can serve a maximum:
- Four terms for AmeriCorps State and National programs
- Five one-year terms for VISTA programs
- No limit on the number of total terms for NCCC programs, but members may not serve more than two consecutive NCCC terms without a break in service of at least 10 months before serving again
If you max out the number of terms you serve with one stream of service, you can start a new term with another AmeriCorps program and receive additional awards -- as long as you have not yet reache6d the full value of two full-time awards. You can also serve terms (and elect not to receive an award) up the limits shown above.