Applicants may apply to multiple AmeriCorps NCCC tracks and cycles at once. All listings currently accepting applications can be found here. Applicants can use the same application for multiple listings.
Please note: There are significant differences between Traditional NCCC and FEMA Corps. Research the options before accepting or declining an invitation. Once a member accepts an invitation, he or she is no longer eligible to receive additional invitations.
Please note: Dates in the application and selection process are subject to change.
Corps Member applicants are notified of selection status within two months of application submission. Applicants are accepted, placed on the waitlist or not accepted. In some instances the selection process takes longer than two months. For questions regarding Corps Member selection status, email ANCCC@cns.gov
Selected Team Leader applicants are interviewed by campus staff. Campuses extend offers one month after the cycle application deadline. Applicants are selected as a Field Team Leader or a Support Team Leader, and on occasion can be selected for an alternate position. An applicant is notified by campus staff if he or she is not selected.
Assessments measure the applicant’s interest, motivation, flexibility, adaptability, collaboration and accountability. Such attributes are key to a successful AmeriCorps NCCC experience. Each application question and the applicant’s references are considered.
After the application is assessed, a notification email is sent to the applicant.
The Assessor may require further information to complete the application assessment. The assessor may send an email to solicit additional references or to schedule an interview. The interview is an opportunity to collect information missing from the application.
02 | Create Application
Create your AmeriCorps application at my.americorps.gov.
- After logging in to the MyAmeriCorps portal, click on “Applications” in the left-hand column
- View our Visual Application Guide for tips on how to create a strong application
- Click “Create Application” and complete each of the application sections
PLEASE NOTE: Open-response questions have a word limit
03 | Submit Application
Now that you have completed your application, you still must submit it to an open listing.
- Clicking "Submit Application" above will take you to a page with all of our open listings.
- Notice your 3 options when choosing a listing:
- Choose a Corps: FEMA Corps or Traditional Corps
- Choose a Position: Corps Member of Team Leader
- Choose a Class: Fall, Summer or Winter, each class will have a different start date.
- Click on the listing that best fits you and keep in mind you can submit an application to more than one listing.
- NOTE: If you are submitting an application for a Team Leader position, you will be asked to complete 2 additional essay questions and an assessment.
- Once you’ve selected a listing, review the program description and click "Apply Now" at the bottom of the page
- Verify which application you are submitting – it is listed below "submit listing" at the top of the certification screen.
- Read the certification and select one of the radio buttons
- Click “Submit”
PLEASE NOTE: You will receive an email confirmation that your application has been submitted
04 | Start Review Process
- Within 1 week of submitting an application, you will receive an Application Acknowledgement Packet in the mail
- Following the instructions in your packet, contact the National Service Hotline to make your Eligibility Call.
- Hotline staff will provide additional information about AmeriCorps NCCC and FEMA Corps. You will be asked to answer 9 yes or no questions to determine your eligibility for service
- After you complete this call, an NCCC staff email will e-mail you regarding your assessment and any next steps required.
PLEASE NOTE: Unless additional information is required from you, you will not be contacted on the date of your assessment
- You must have two complete references
At least one must be from a professional source
- If your references have not completed their reference form, you can send them a reminder from the references section of your MyAmeriCorps account – sign-in here
05 | Receive Invitation
All eligible applicants are invited to serve at a campus or offered a position on our waitlist
- Receive your invitation to serve!
- Your invitation will include information about your campus, clearance forms, and next steps in the application process
Waitlisted applicants must complete clearance forms to be considered for a campus invitation
06 | Complete Clearance Forms
- Complete and return your clearance forms within 15 business days
- Fingerprint Card
- Medical history form (4 pages)
- Online survey
- FEMA clearance documents (FEMA Corps invitees only)
- Declaration for Federal Employment
- Credit Release
- Privacy Waiver
- Staff will contact you if additional information is required
07 | Prepare for Service
- Once selected to serve at a campus and cleared legally and medically, receive your Welcome Packet via email and inside you’ll find information about your campus, your living stipend, a helpful packing list and more!
- Complete the forms included in your Welcome Packet and return them to your campus – your travel to campus will not be booked if these forms are not received
- Join your class Facebook page, and get to know your fellow members
- Receive your travel itinerary one to two weeks prior to campus arrival via email
- Arrive on campus and begin service!
Once you have completed these steps, you are at 100% and ready to depart for service!