Leverage National Service Resources
The Corporation for National and Community Service (CNCS) and national service programs like AmeriCorps and Senior Corps want to help your district or school - together we can improve academic achievement, student attendance, and on-time graduation rates. With federal funding from CNCS, schools across the country are using this proven source of human capital to help students succeed in school and in life.
- Over half of CNCS’s budget supports education-related programs.
- Each year 90,000 AmeriCorps members and Senior Corps volunteers provide in-school and after-school support to at-risk youth.
- Senior Corps volunteers and AmeriCorps members serve in almost 12,000 schools, including one out of every four low-performing schools.
Use this new toolkit for superintendents, principals, and other education stakeholders to determine the best ways for you to leverage national service resources in your schools.
This toolkit will help you:
- Determine Your Needs: Identify how national service resources can help meet your school's needs
- Select a National Service Program: Match your needs to an AmeriCorps and/or Senior Corps program
- Find a Partnership or Apply Directly: Apply for CNCS resources or partner with nonprofit organizations, institutions of higher education, city agencies or mayors offices.
Determine Your Needs
AmeriCorps and Senior Corps programs meet a wide-varierty of needs, including, but not limited to:
Select a Program
There are five main CNCS programs that support youth and education:
- AmeriCorps State and National
- AmeriCorps VISTA (Volunteers in Service to America)
- AmeriCorps NCCC (National Civilian Community Corps)
The Superintendent/Principal's Toolkit explains each program in detail.
Find a Partnership or Apply Directly
Schools can apply for AmeriCorps members/teams or Senior Corps volunteers directly, or can partner with a nonprofit organization, institution of higher education, city agency, or mayors office. Partnering with a community organization is a common route for districts who may not have the infrastructure to manage funds, grants, and/or participants. Explore both options and choose the one that is best for you.
School districts and states across the country are already leveraging national service.
"AmeriCorps members all across the state, from Denver to Durango, are serving to help improve results in the lives of their students and the communities they work in. They do this by bringing optimism, excitement and energy to the classroom and serving as in-class role models. They are an invaluable resource to our state and we are exceptionally proud of their service." -Donna Lynne, Lieutenant Governor of the State of Colorado
"AmeriCorps and Senior Corps programs are providing vital support to students across Minnesota. From kindergarten readiness and reading well by third grade, to high school graduation and college success, national service is a cost-effective strategy that is making a big difference in our state." -Dr. Brenda Cassellius, Commissioner, Minnesota Department of Education
Some school districts and states are already leveraging national service to support student success. Read More
To learn more about national service in your state and explore opportunities, please see: