The Corporation for National and Community Service (CNCS) leads national service initiatives that help your organization implement projects or ideas that require special funding or assistance. Through programs and grants, CNCS provides human capital—people power—to help you address emerging needs in your community.
Each year, national and community service participants and grantees recruit hundreds of thousands of volunteers, who donate millions of hours of service to their communities. Through our programs, CNCS:
- acts as a catalyst by providing strategic critical support to volunteer organizations that, in turn, deliver much-needed services to communities throughout the country
- promotes a healthy and vibrant nonprofit volunteer sector that can deliver community services efficiently and effectively
- builds character and creates career and educational opportunities through the volunteer experience
- develops and cultivates knowledge that will enhance the overall success of volunteer and service programs
- cultivates the growth of a culture of citizenship and service in which contributing to your community becomes commonplace.
To accomplish these goals, CNCS provides grants, training, and technical assistance to developing and expanding volunteer organizations. In addition, CNCS explores, develops, and models effective approaches for using volunteers to meet the nation's human capital needs, and conducts and disseminates research that helps develop and cultivate knowledge to enhance the overall effectiveness of national and community service programs.
New to National Service?
CNCS plays a vital role in supporting and encouraging the values of citizenship, service, and responsibility. Our support includes training, research, and grants that provide opportunities for Americans to express their civic pride while addressing critical community needs. Search our resources to discover how national service can help your organization.
Grants and Projects
CNCS provides grants and national service members to national and local nonprofits, schools, government agencies, faith-based and community organizations, and other groups committed to strengthening their communities through volunteering. Ready to apply for a grant or a project? Check out our Notice of Funding Opportunity/Notice of Funding Availability section. To apply for an AmeriCorps VISTA project, check out our page on How to Sponsor an AmeriCorps VISTA project. To learn how to apply for AmeriCorps NCCC assistance, visit our page Sponsor an AmeriCorps NCCC Team.
Learning and Best Practices
The National Service Knowledge Network is where CNCS grantees, members, partners, staff, and volunteers can share information and resources related to national service. Features include discussion boards, content sharing, profiles, private messaging, and more. The network also hosts a number of online training tools, a library of downloadable publications, an events calendar, and the Effective Practices Collection.