Our Mission is to improve lives, strengthen communities, and foster civic engagement through service and volunteering.
We are the Corporation for National and Community Service, the federal agency that leads service, volunteering, and grant-making efforts in the United States. We help millions of Americans improve their lives and the lives of their fellow citizens through service.
We work hand-in-hand with local partners to tap the ingenuity and can-do spirit of the American people to tackle our country's most pressing challenges. We are AmeriCorps, Senior Corps, the Social Innovation Fund the Volunteer Generation Fund, and more.
AmeriCorps and Senior Corps members serve at more than 50,000 locations across the country to meet community needs related to education, health, energy and conservation, economic development, veterans and military families, and disaster services.
National service is a cost-effective solution that taps the power of citizens to get things done. We multiply the impact of our investment by generating hundreds of millions of non-federal dollars, mobilizing millions of additional volunteers, and operating with a high degree of accountability and efficiency:
- Our 75,000 AmeriCorps members mobilize millions of community volunteers for the organizations they serve, increasing their reach and impact.
- Our Senior Corps programs tap the skills and experience of more than 220,000 older Americans to meet pressing community needs.
- Our Social Innovation Fund generates substantial private sector support to help grow evidence-based programs that improve the lives and build the economic independence of low-income individuals.
- Our Volunteer Generation Fund enables nonprofits to expand their impact by investing in practices that increase volunteer retention and recruitment.
- We provide vital leadership, training, coordination, and resources to help make the nonprofit sector more effective.
- We are creating the next generation of leaders and public servants through the experience our members gain in programs such as FEMA Corps, AmeriCorps NCCC, and School Turnaround AmeriCorps.
Our nation’s strength comes from our people. America has always been at its best when citizens together, joined in common purpose. We help focus this energy on local challenges to make a difference in the lives of millions of Americans every day.
- We support high-impact service to meet pressing needs, from illiteracy and homelessness to hunger and disasters. More than 980,000 Americans have given more than 1.4 billion hours of service through AmeriCorps, helping millions of our most-vulnerable citizens.
- We create economic opportunity by working in schools to improve graduation rates and providing services that develop job skills that lead to new careers.
- We administer AmeriCorps VISTA, which has been on the front lines fighting poverty since 1965, helping improve the lives of low-income individuals and communities across the country.
- We increase educational opportunity through Segal AmeriCorps Education Awards that have provided more than $3.3 billion to more than 980,000 Americans to defray college costs.
- We lead Days of Service on Martin Luther King Day and September 11th that encourage millions of citizens to volunteer in their communities.