The Corporation for National and Community Service (CNCS) links to websites that provide useful, timely, citizen-centered government information and services consistent with our linking policy.
Links to Government Websites
CNCS links to publicly available websites that are government-owned or government sponsored, unless directed not to by the agency that owns the site. Acceptable federal government-owned or government-sponsored website domains include .gov, .mil, and .fed.us.
CNCS also links to: quasi-government agencies and websites created by public sector/private sector partnerships; state and local government sites (e.g., www.maryland.gov); and some government-sponsored websites that end in .com, .org, or .net (e.g., www.usps.com for the U.S. Postal Service and www.ncfy.com/clear.htm for the National Clearinghouses and Resource Centers on Families and Youth).
Links to Non-Government Websites
CNCS websites also link to websites that are not government-owned or government-sponsored if these websites provide government information and/or services in a way that is not available on an official government website. CNCS provides these non-government websites as a public service only.
The U.S. government, including CNCS, neither endorses nor guarantees in any way the external organizations, services, advice, or products included in these website links. Furthermore, the U.S. government neither controls nor guarantees the accuracy, relevance, timeliness, or completeness of the information contained in non-government website links.
CNCS staff evaluates all links using the following criteria:
- Is the website an official government-owned or supported website? If not, does the website provide government information and/or services in a way that is not available on an official government website?
- Does the website complement existing information, products, and services from CNCS?
- Is the website accessible and applicable to a wide audience?
- Is the website’s content relevant, useful, and authoritative for citizens, businesses, and/or government officials?
- Does the website’s information appear to be accurate and current?
- Is the website’s approach to the privacy of personal information consistent with the government's privacy and security policies?
- Is the primary intent of the website to educate and inform, rather than persuade, convert, or sell? The site may include advertising but must be free from heavy marketing or promotion of products.
- Does the website provide information free of charge?
Though any site is welcome to link to CNCS websites, we do not engage in reciprocal linking. Our sites are in the public domain, and there is no cost or special permission required to link to them.
CNCS websites feature links, information, and services based on one or more of the following highly desirable criteria:
- The website enables citizens, businesses, and/or government officials to conduct transactions online (e.g., buy materials for national service needs or projects).
- The website provides citizens, businesses, and/or government officials with the information they need to interact directly with government organizations (e.g., clearly available telephone numbers, street addresses, e-mail addresses, and instructions).
- The website provides citizens with information about service performance.
- The website provides community-level information and services (e.g., MapStats, post office locators, Social Security Office locators, National Park Service Guides, and veterans’ facilities).
CNCS will not link to any website that exhibits hate, bias, discrimination, specific religious views, or social agendas. Furthermore, CNCS reserves the right to deny or remove any link that contains misleading information or unsubstantiated claims, or is determined to be in conflict with CNCS’s mission or policies.
Disclaimer of Endorsement
The information posted on CNCS websites includes hypertext links or pointers to information created and maintained by other public and/or private organizations. CNCS provides these links and pointers solely for our users’ information and convenience. When users select a link to an external website, they are leaving the CNCS site and are subject to the privacy and security policies of the owners/sponsors of the external website.
- CNCS does not control or guarantee the accuracy, relevance, timeliness, or completeness of information contained on a linked website.
- CNCS does not endorse the organizations sponsoring linked websites, and does not endorse the views expressed or products offered therein.
- CNCS cannot authorize the use of copyrighted, trademarked, and servicemarked8 materials contained in linked websites. Users must request such authorization from the sponsor of the linked website.
- CNCS is not responsible for transmissions that users receive from linked websites.
- CNCS does not guarantee that external websites comply with Section 508 (Accessibility Requirements) of the Rehabilitation Act.