National Service Uniform Guidance Resources
(also known as OmniCircular or SuperCircular)
SUMMARY (as printed in the Federal Register. Source)
To deliver on the promise of a 21st-Century government that is more efficient, effective and transparent, the Office of Management and Budget (OMB) is streamlining the Federal government's guidance on Administrative Requirements, Cost Principles, and Audit Requirements for Federal awards. These modifications are a key component of a larger Federal effort to more effectively focus Federal resources on improving performance and outcomes while ensuring the financial integrity of taxpayer dollars in partnership with non-Federal stakeholders. This guidance provides a government wide framework for grants management which will be complemented by additional efforts to strengthen program outcomes through innovative and effective use of grant-making models, performance metrics, and evaluation. This reform of OMB guidance will reduce administrative burden for non-Federal entities receiving Federal awards while reducing the risk of waste, fraud and abuse.
This final guidance supersedes and streamlines requirements from OMB Circulars A-21, A-87, A-110, and A-122 (which have been placed in OMB guidances); Circulars A-89, A-102, and A-133; and the guidance in Circular A-50 on Single Audit Act follow-up. Future reform efforts may eventually seek to incorporate the Cost Principles for Hospitals in Department of Health and Human Services regulations. Copies of the OMB Circulars that are superseded by this guidance are available on OMB's Web site.The final guidance consolidates the guidance previously contained in the aforementioned citations into a streamlined format that aims to improve both the clarity and accessibility. This final guidance is located in Title 2 of the Code of Federal Regulations.
This final guidance does not broaden the scope of applicability from existing government-wide requirements, affecting Federal awards to non-Federal entities including state and local governments, Indian tribes, institutions of higher education, and nonprofit organizations. Parts of it may also apply to for-profit entities in limited circumstances and to foreign entities as described in this guidance and the Federal Acquisition Regulation. This guidance does not change or modify any existing statute or guidance otherwise based on any existing statute. This guidance does not supersede any existing or future authority under law or by executive order or the Federal Acquisition Regulation.
Training and Presentation Materials:
We encourage grantees to get comprehensive training on the Uniform Guidance. Such training is offered by many training providers. For instance, the Council on Federal Assistance Reform recently conducted a webcast on the Uniform Guidance; a recording of that session is available here.
CNCS Specific Guidance:
Under the authority listed below, the Corporation for National and Community Service adopts the Office of Management and Budget's (OMB) Guidance in 2 CFR part 200, except as specified in this part. Thus, this part gives regulatory effect to the OMB guidance and supplements the guidance for recipients of awards from the Corporation.
(Authority: 42 U.S.C. 12571(d), 12571(e)(2)(B), 12581(l), 12581a(a), 12616(c)(2), 12651c(c), 12651d(h), 12651g(b), 12653(a), 12653(h), 12653o(a), and 12657(a); 2 CFR part 200; 45 CFR 2521.95, and 2540.110.) Source: 79 FR 76076, Dec. 19, 2014, unless otherwise noted.
FAQ: Where can I find the most up-to-date information on implementation of the Uniform Guidance?
- OMB has released updated FAQs available at: August 29, 2014 Frequently Asked Questions
- CNCS Indirect Costs FAQs published on August 5, 2015
Grants and Financial Management Updates from CNCS Related to the Uniform Guidance (with date posted):
- NEW! OMB Uniform Guidance - Key Impacts on CNCS Grantees - Indirect Costs - 3/16/16
- OMB Uniform Guidance - Key Impacts on CNCS Grantees - Audit Requirements - 2/29/16
- OMB Uniform Guidance - Key Impacts on CNCS Grantees - Requirements for Pass-Through Entites - 1/5/16
- OMB Uniform Guidance - Key Impacts on CNCS Grantees - Procurement - 12/15/15
- OMB Uniform Guidance - Key Impacts on CNCS Grantees - Internal Controls - 12/8/15
- OMB Uniform Guidance - Key Impacts on CNCS Grantees - Conflict of Interest - 11/19/15
- Changes to Indirect Cost Rate Regulations and FAQ - 9/08/15
- New Requirement to Record Your Indirect Cost Rate in eGrants - 3/19/15
- New Tool to Provide Feedback on the Uniform Guidance - 2/27/2015
- New Uniform Guidance for CNCS Grants - 2/03/2015
- Required Reading: OMB's Uniform Guidance for Federal Awards - 12/30/2014
- When does the new Super Circular (Uniform Guidance) take effect? - 11/05/2014
- What You Need to Know about the SuperCircular Update - 11/04/2014
- Join Us for a Webcast on Thursday, October 2nd, 1:00-3:00 PM – 10/01/2014
- Update #3 on OMB Consolidation of the Grant Management Circulars – 5/22/2014
- A New Way to Get Crucial Grants Updates - 5/16/2014