Senior Corps Week
Each year during Senior Corps Week, we recognize the extraordinary impact Senior Corps volunteers make across our nation every day. This year, Senior Corps Week took place May 18-22, 2015. Check out our Storify to see how we recognized the impact of RSVP, Foster Grandparent and Senior Companion volunteers across the country.
Senior Corps Week 2015
Senior Corps Week is a time to salute volunteers from Foster Grandparent Program, RSVP, and Senior Companion Program, recognize community sponsors and partners, and communicate the impact of and on the lives of those who serve.
The theme for 2015 was #SeniorCorpsWorks.We implemented an #IamSeniorCorps campaign on Facebook and Tumblr. Check out our Senior Corps Impact videos that take a look a three very different communities — West, Texas; Missoula, Montana; and NYC— and join us to show how RSVP, Senior Companion, and Foster Grandparent volunteers step up to help.
In honor of Senior Corps Week, we’ve developed the Senior Corps pledge. This pledge should be administered to Senior Corps volunteers when they enter into service in the Foster Grandparent, Senior Companion, and RSVP programs and/or at other key moments during the year. When administering the pledge to a single program audience, for example, Foster Grandparents, the last line would read, “I am a Senior Corps Foster Grandparent volunteer, and I will get things done.” When administering to volunteers from multiple programs the last line would read, “I am a Senior Corps volunteer, and I will get things done.”
Tips on administering the pledge:
- Recognize volunteers during Senior Corps Week,
- Plan a swearing-in ceremony at the beginning of service,
- Ask an elected official to swear-in volunteers during days of service such as Mayors Day.
Senior Corps Pledge
I will get things done for America – to make our people safer, smarter, and healthier.
When faced with a pressing challenge, I will bring Americans of all generations together to strengthen our communities.
When faced with children at risk, I will help them stay in school and on track for a brighter future.
When faced with older adults in need, I will provide support and compassion so they may age with grace and dignity.
Working for the greatest good, I will use my lifetime of experiences to improve my country, my community, and myself through service.
I am a Senior Corps (RSVP, Foster Grandparent, Senior Companion) volunteer, and I will get things done.
From NYC – a city that never sleeps -- to small town West, Texas, Senior Corps volunteers are using their skills to make a difference. Watch and share these videos to learn more.
Now’s the time to order your Senior Corps Week materials. Follow the link below to get started.
(Pins will not be available until May 18)
Senior Corps Makes A Difference Video
Outreach Resources for Senior Corps Grantees
To tell the Senior Corps story at the national level, we:
- Hosted a call with Wendy on May 18, 2015, to thank Senior Corps grantees for their service. Note: the recording of this call will be available after 3 p.m. on May 18. Please call the toll free number 866-435-1326 to listen to the call.
- Hosted a webinar on April 30, 2015, to provide Senior Corps Week Outreach tips. You can view the PowerPoint from the webinar here.
- Posted blog articles featuring impact stories of impact
- Launched the #IamSeniorCorps campaign through the Senior Corps Facebook page and the National Service Tumblr account
- Featured the “This is Senior Corps” PSA campaign on Senior Corps Facebook page and National Service Instagram account
- Provided a Senior Corps swearing-in pledge for volunteers
We encourage you to promote Senior Corps by:
- Administering the Senior Corps Pledge
- Inviting partners (or those you’d like to be your partners) to serve with you for a day
- Branding your Senior Corps program. Check out our free resources including logos, brochures, name tags, site signs.
- Have an elected official issue a proclamation honoring the impact of Senior Corps volunteers
- Amplify your accomplishments and promote your blog posts on the Senior Corps Facebook page and social media using #SeniorCorpsWorks and #IamSeniorCorps as your hashtags. Please use photos when sharing these sample tweets:
- How has SeniorCorps changed your community? Share your story! #IamSeniorCorps
- What are you accomplishing through Senior Corps? Share your story! #SeniorCorpsWorks
- I serve in Senior Corps as a [FGP, SCP, RSVP] volunteer with [PROGRAM NAME] and I am helping to [ENTER PROGRAM DESCRIPTION] #SeniorCorpsWorks
- Thank the partners and funders that make your service possible.
- Thank you [Funder/Partner] for supporting [Program name] #SeniorCorpsWorks