AmeriCorps 20th Anniversary - Talking Points and Messaging
Every day in communities across America, AmeriCorps members are making a powerful impact on the most critical issues facing our nation.
Since its inception, more than 820,000 men and women have taken the AmeriCorps pledge, serving more than one billion hours and improving the lives of countless Americans.
Starting in September 2013, we will recognize the commitment of AmeriCorps members and alums and highlight the extraordinary impact AmeriCorps has made for 20 years.
For ideas and guidance on how you can align your activities with our big picture goals throughout the year, please download our Guidance on Outreach and Engagement, and see the messages below.
- AmeriCorps is a cost-effective solution to America’s toughest problems
- AmeriCorps expands education and economic opportunity
- AmeriCorps strengthens the impact of our nation’s nonprofits
- On its 20th anniversary, AmeriCorps is poised for even greater impact and growth
AmeriCorps is a cost-effective solution to America’s toughest problems
- Service is a Solution: More than 80,000 AmeriCorps members improve the lives of millions of our most vulnerable citizens each year. AmeriCorps’ impacts are proven and measurable.
- Education and Youth: AmeriCorps places thousands of teachers, tutors, and mentors into low performing schools, helping students succeed in school and gain skills necessary to get 21st century jobs.
- Veterans and Military Families: AmeriCorps supports the military community by engaging veterans in service, helping veterans readjust to civilian life, and providing support to military families.
- Disasters: From forest fires and floods, to hurricanes and tornadoes, AmeriCorps members have provided critical support to millions of Americans affected by disasters since 1994.
- Economic Opportunity: VISTA, AmeriCorps’ poverty-fighting program, engages more than 8,000 members each year in fighting poverty by creating businesses, expanding access to technology, recruiting volunteers to teach literacy, and strengthening antipoverty groups.
- Health: AmeriCorps members save lives and improves health through HIV/AIDS education and outreach, drug and alcohol prevention training, and connecting poor families to health clinics and services.
- Environment: Members build trails, restore parks, protect watersheds, run recycling programs, and promote energy efficiency, weatherization, and clean energy.
AmeriCorps expands education and economic opportunity
- Preparing the 21st Century Workforce: AmeriCorps is a pathway to economic opportunity that provides members with valuable skills, leadership abilities, and experience to help jumpstart their careers.
- Expanding Educational Opportunity: AmeriCorps members have earned more than $2.4 billion in Segal AmeriCorps Education Awards since 1994, helping hundreds of thousands of alums pay for college.
- Building Community Leaders: An AmeriCorps longitudinal study found that AmeriCorps alums are more attached to their communities, aware of community challenges, and empowered to address them.
- Pipeline to Public Service: AmeriCorps alums are significantly more likely to go into public service careers. This is particularly true of minorities and people from low-income backgrounds.
AmeriCorps strengthens the impact of our nation’s nonprofits
- Strengthening Nonprofits: AmeriCorps members help tens of thousands of faith-based and community groups expand services, build capacity, raise funds, develop new partnerships, and create innovative, sustainable programs.
- Mobilizing volunteers: AmeriCorps is a powerful catalyst and force-multiplier for community volunteering. Last year AmeriCorps members recruited, trained, and supervised more than 4 million community volunteers for the organizations they serve.
- Public-Private Partnership: AmeriCorps leverages substantial private investment from businesses, foundations, and other sources. AmeriCorps has cut costs and become more efficient by supporting more members with fewer federal dollars.
- Advancing Social Innovation: AmeriCorps invests in entrepreneurial organizations that have been recognized for their innovative approaches to citizen problem-solving.
On its 20th anniversary, AmeriCorps is poised for even greater impact and growth
- AmeriCorps has Strong Momentum: The President knows first-hand the power of citizens to get things done and is deeply committed to investing in service and community solutions.
- Task Force on Expanding National Service: In July 2013, President Obama created a high-level task force identify new ways the public and private sectors can partner to expand national service as a strategy for tackling national priorities.
- Bipartisan Support: There is a growing recognition from Members of Congress, Governors, and Mayors of both parties that national service is an essential strategy to address critical problems.
- 20 Years Serving America: Starting in September 2013, we will recognize the commitment of AmeriCorps members and alums and highlight the extraordinary impact AmeriCorps has made for 20 years.
- Celebrating the past, building for the future: The 20th will recognize important moments in AmeriCorps’ history but it will also look ahead to our exciting future by demonstrating impact, building partnerships, and increasing service opportunities to serve
AmeriCorps Fast Facts
- 820,000: Number of individuals who have served as AmeriCorps members since 1994.
- 1 Billion: Total number of hours served by AmeriCorps members.
- $2.4 Billion: Total amount of Segal AmeriCorps Education Awards earned by AmeriCorps members.
- 4 Million: Number of community volunteers managed or mobilized by AmeriCorps members in 2012.
- 15,000: Number of nonprofit, faith-based, and community organizations that AmeriCorps members serve with.