AmeriCorps State and National supports a wide range of local service programs that engage thousands of Americans in intensive community service each year. We provide grants to a network of local and national organizations and agencies committed to using national service to address critical community needs in education, public safety, health, and the environment.
Each of these organizations and agencies, in turn, uses their AmeriCorps funding to recruit, place, and supervise AmeriCorps members nationwide.
AmeriCorps State and National programs are open to U.S. citizens, nationals, or lawful permanent resident aliens age 17 and older. Members may serve full- or part-time over a period not to exceed 12 months. Individuals can serve as AmeriCorps members in every state, U.S. territory, and on tribal reservations.
Full-time AmeriCorps State and National members are given a living allowance; health care; childcare, if they qualify; and become eligible for the Segal AmeriCorps Education Award upon successful completion of the program. Learn more by reading the AmeriCorps Fact Sheet.
Apply for Grants
Grants provide assistance to programs to recruit, train, and supervise AmeriCorps members meeting critical community needs in the areas of education, disaster services, health, environmental stewardship, economic opportunity, and service to veterans and military families. Grant applicants design service activities for a team of members serving full- or part-time for one year or during the summer.
Organizations may apply for a grant directly from the Corporation for National and Community Service if they are:
- A national nonprofit organization that operates in two or more states
- An Indian tribe
- A consortia formed across two or more states, consisting of institutions of higher education or other nonprofits, including labor, faith-based, and other community organizations
- A state or territory without a State Service Commission
Find the right grant opportunity for your organization.
Apply for a grant through a State Service Commission if program activities take place in a single state and you are a:
- State and local nonprofit organization
- Community and faith-based organization
- State, local, and higher education institution
- State and local government
- U.S. territory
Contact your State Service Commission for more information on the Grant application or deadlines.
- If you are a current grantee or project sponsor, contact your Program Officer.
- If your organization is a single-state entity that wants to work with AmeriCorps, contact your State Service Commission
- If your organization operates in multiple states or is a Tribal organization, call 202-606-7508 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
- For information on joining AmeriCorps, call 1-800-942-2677 or visit the National Service Hotline page.
- For information on your Segal AmeriCorps Education Award, contact the National Service Trust at 1-800-942-2677.