Resilience is the ability to survive, adapt, and grow in the face of shocks and stresses. Resilience AmeriCorps recruits and trains AmeriCorps VISTA members to serve low-income communities across the country by developing plans and implementing projects that increase resilience-building capacity. Current Resilience AmeriCorps projects are addressing a wide range of resilience challenges and solutions, including:
Resilience AmeriCorps Cities
Anchorage, AK - Cities of Service
- Not only does Anchorage face a host of stressors that other urban areas experience, but its location means the city must also contend with high costs for food and energy. Through this project, Resilience AmeriCorps members will work with leaders in the Mayor’s office on projects dedicated to increasing the energy efficiency of Anchorage’s aging housing stock, enhancing energy grid resilience through microgrid development, and encouraging more local food production.
Phoenix, AZ - Cities of Service
- Phoenix has experienced flash floods from rainfall, coupled with extreme, record breaking heat, and water shortages. AmeriCorps members will engage vulnerable communities in the city’s climate resilience planning and implementation. They will also lead volunteers to survey the selected communities to determine vulnerability, needs, and capacity related to climate change and other environmental challenges.
Boulder, CO - Cities of Service
- Boulder faces significant threats of wildfires and flooding. Resilience AmeriCorps efforts in Boulder will support the city’s Chief Resilience Officer with efforts focused on establishing a sustainable corps of volunteer community first responders who can provide support to their neighbors during a disaster. In addition, they will serve as points of contact for rapidly assessing impacts and mobilizing resources to support professional responders in times of crisis.
Apopka, FL - Catholic Charities USA
Immokalee, FL - Catholic Charities USA
Tampa, FL - Lutheran Services in America
- Florida faces threats from seasonal tropical activity such as hurricanes and severe storms and sinkholes. An AmeriCorps VISTA member will engage in the review of community disaster plans and work with communities to establish relationships with to connect or reconnect Lutheran Services Florida and communities to disaster networks.
Chicago, IL - Cities of Service
- Chicago’s major resilience challenges include infrastructure failure, flooding, and blizzards. Through Resilience AmeriCorps, the city will develop a resilience plan that expands engagement, resources, and infrastructure to reach the city’s vulnerable populations. The AmeriCorps members’ work will be concentrated in areas of high risk of storm water damage and income inequality.
New Orleans, LA - Cities of Service
- In addition to the destruction wrought by Hurricane Katrina, the city has weathered Hurricanes Rita, Ike, Gustav, and Isaac, while facing climate change challenges, wetland loss, land subsidence, and inequality. New Orleans will deploy AmeriCorps VISTA members in neighborhoods with both high environmental risk and high percentages of poverty to execute initiatives and engage the public in the discussions and necessary volunteer efforts in order to achieve maximum impact.
St. Paul, MN - Lutheran Services in America
- Working with Lutheran Social Services of Minnesota, an AmeriCorps VISTA member will expand community resiliency in low-income communities by improving the psychological health of children and families, provide education and emotional support for children to make them more self sufficient and aware of risks, and enhance resources available for children and families recovering from disruptive life events.
Vardaman, MS - Catholic Charities USA
Kansas City, MO - Catholic Charities USA
Springfield, MO - Catholic Charities USA
St. Louis, MO - Lutheran Services in America
- Missouri has experienced a number of challenges including tornadoes, ice storms, severe flooding, civil unrest, and more. To respond to these critical issues, AmeriCorps VISTA members will conduct research and assessments of risk and vulnerabilities to create a vulnerability map used to inform and guide local Community Organizations Active in Disaster (COAD) resilience projects. Working with Lutheran Family and Children's Services of Missouri, this member will develop community resilience plans to prepare low-income communities for disruption, as well as develop a communication strategy to inform and train community members on resilience strategies.
Atlantic City, NJ - Catholic Charities USA
New York City, NY
- Enterprise Community Partners
Enterprise's mission is to create opportunity for low- and moderate-income people through affordable housing connected to good schools, jobs, transit, and health services. AmeriCorps VISTA members will work on programs related to housing preservation, health & housing, and most vulnerable populations. The Resilience AmeriCorps project will support the preservation of 15,000 units of deeply affordable public housing units, help 300 homeless households gain access to stable housing and services, and strengthen the relationship between the health and housing sectors. Over the course of three years, three AmeriCorps VISTA members will engage with landlords to bring units into the Come Home NYC pipeline, organize roundtable discussions and write blog posts about the intersection of health and housing, and work with public housing staff and community-based organizations on a resident engagement strategy.
- New York Governor's Office of Storm Recovery
In June 2013, Governor Andrew Cuomo created the Governor’s Office of Storm Recovery (GOSR). AmeriCorps VISTA members will support community-created storm recovery projects conceptualized with the NY Rising Community Reconstructions (NYRCR) Program. The NYRCR Program is a participatory recovery and resiliency initiative established to provide assistance to 124 communities severely damaged by Superstorm Sandy, Hurricane Irene, and Tropical Storm Lee, with an allotment of more than $700 million in federal funds to support the planning and implementation of community-developed projects. AmeriCorps VISTA members will engage with local partners to implement resiliency projects, as well as develop outreach strategies to build community and infrastructure resilience in the face of severe storms.
Fargo, ND - Lutheran Services in America
An AmeriCorps VISTA member will expand ongoing efforts to serve at risk residents and increase their ability to survive and recover from disaster. The AmeriCorps VISTA member, working with Lutheran Social Services of North Dakota, will aid in fostering community resilience for lower income residents by improving food and financial security, as well as assist in educating New Americans on emergency preparedness.
Minot, ND - Cities of Service
- Minot experiences a number of challenges, ranging from flooding to fires and more. Minot will employ AmeriCorps members to develop networks of communication, including workshops and trainings, to engage and inform community members about resilience issues. AmeriCorps members will also deploy citizen volunteers to reduce blight, create an Evacuteer program, and fundraise and manage new parks and greenways that may be created as part of their ongoing flood mitigation strategy.
Guymon, OK - Catholic Charities USA
Tulsa, OK - Cities of Service
- Tulsa frequently experiences high wind events, flooding, winter storms and pollution. AmeriCorps VISTA members will work closely with the city leadership to help develop Tulsa’s broader resilience strategy and increase local capacity for resilience work. In addition, AmeriCorps members will work to develop networks of communication, including workshops and trainings, to inform community members about resilience issues and to engage them in volunteer opportunities that support the planning and implementation of resilience initiatives.
Pittsburgh, PA - Cities of Service
- Pittsburgh often suffers from severe rain events, which lead to frequent sewer overflows and heat. AmeriCorps members will be deployed to strengthen community outreach during the resilience planning process and to develop communications materials, content, tools and resources in order to facilitate resilience initiatives, track indicators, and keep stakeholders informed.
Columbia, SC - Lutheran Services in America
- Working with Lutheran Services Carolinas, an AmeriCorps VISTA member will assess and identify the most pressing issues in multiple disadvantaged and low-income communities. In addition, the member will develop a community readiness program that can be shared with local nonprofits focusing on individual and community self-sufficiency, disaster readiness, and access to resources for social services.
Ft. Thompson, SD - Lutheran Services in America
- Fort Thompson recently experienced severe thunderstorms affecting low-income communities in rural areas of the state. Geographic isolation causes significant challenges mobilizing community responses and other resources needed after devastating events. An AmeriCorps VISTA member will help build community resilience in Lower Brule and Crow Creek reservations by improving community engagement and awareness, providing access to social services, building partnerships, and enhancing self-sufficiency.
Austin, TX - Lutheran Services in America
- Working with Upbring, an AmeriCorps VISTA will engage volunteers in community readiness, establish partnerships, work with community programs to coordinate services targeted to community resiliency, and increase access to social services. In addition, this member will develop trainings and toolkits for existing programs to help vulnerable and at-risk populations be better prepared for small disruptions, as well as large disasters impacting entire communities.
El Paso, TX - Cities of Service
- El Paso faces environmental challenges due in large part to flooding from intense storms and extreme high and low temperatures. AmeriCorps VISTA members will work with residents in low-lying, lower-income neighborhoods most prone to flooding. AmeriCorps members will work with community groups, neighborhood organizations, businesses, and residents to train leaders, create emergency response processes and toolkits, and establish information distribution protocols and programs for engaging everyday citizens.
Fort Worth, TX - Catholic Charities USA
Houston, TX - Catholic Charities USA
Norfolk, VA - Cities of Service
- Norfolk experiences periodic flooding due to land subsidence and sea level rise, and increasing frequency and severity of storms. AmeriCorps VISTA members will work with the Chief Resilience Officer to help implement and expand two of the city’s existing efforts to support continuity of critical services for vulnerable residents. AmeriCorps VISTA members will also play a role in expanding asset mapping in vulnerable populations, and implementing recommendations from the Mayor’s Poverty Commission.
Spokane, WA - Catholic Charities USA
Resilience AmeriCorps Highlights
- BLOG: Salt of the Earth (Day): AmeriCorps VISTA
- BLOG: GOSR Welcomes Two Resilience AmeriCorps VISTA Members in Celebration of AmeriCorps Week
- FACT SHEET: The Administration Announces Historic Commitments to Build Climate Resilient Communities
- BLOG: Building Climate Resilience Across the Nation
- FACT SHEET: Advancing Shared Values for A Better World
- PRESS RELEASE: Resilience AmeriCorps Announces Ten Cities for Its Pilot Program to Support Communities in Building Capacity and Technical Support for Climate Resilience
- FACT SHEET:Actions to Build Resilience to Climate Change Impacts in Vulnerable Communities
- PRESS RELEASE: Public – Private Partnership Launches New AmeriCorps Program to Help Communities Build Resilience
- BLOG: Budgeting for Climate Preparedness and Resilience
- Join @NationalService #ResilienceAmeriCorps program w/ 8 positions available w/ LSA & 7 member orgs. Apply now: https://t.co/dryVRbqolL — 1 month 4 weeks ago
- 8 positions available as part of @NationalService #ResilienceAmeriCorps program + ops w/ @LSSND The Hearthstone: https://t.co/dryVRbqolL — 2 months 1 week ago
- Apply 2 be part of the @NationalService #ResilienceAmeriCorps program: 8 positions open across the US incl. 1 w/ LSA https://t.co/dryVRbqolL — 2 months 3 weeks ago
- RT @ServeWA: Excited to see #ResilienceAmeriCorps members will #GetThingsDone in #Spokane! https://t.co/Lhdr5podQN — 3 months 2 weeks ago
- RT @onestarfdn: Looking forward to the new #ResilienceAmeriCorps sites in Austin, Fort Worth and Houston! These members will #GetThingsDone for TX! — 3 months 2 weeks ago
- Gr8ful 2 b part of @nationalservice #ResilienceAmeriCorps Program w/ @CCharitiesUSA @Enterprise_NYC @NYStormRecovery https://t.co/Vbo3Pomb8W — 3 months 2 weeks ago
- LSA joins #ResilienceAmeriCorps w/ @UpbringOrg @LutheranServFla @LSSofMN @LSSofND @TedGoinsLSCPrez @LSSofSD @LFCSMO https://t.co/znIgzGmOMV — 3 months 2 weeks ago
- RT @americorps: BREAKING: #ResilienceAmeriCorps members will #GetThingsDone in 18 NEW communities! https://t.co/jlJ0gn2I96 https://t.co/goxm2cvnRt — 3 months 3 weeks ago