The Corporation may grant an application for an extension under the following circumstances:
- The individual served a subsequent term of service in another position during the award’s use period.
- The individual served in Peace Corps or in the military during the award’s use period.
- The individual was unavoidably prevented from using the education award during the award’s use period. Examples of situations that may warrant an extension under this category include, but are not limited to:
- The individual’s serious illness or disability
- The death or serious illness or disability of someone in the individual’s immediate family (mother, father, spouse, child, sibling, grand parent, grandchild)
- The destruction or inaccessibility of important service records maintained by the program
- Natural disasters, such as floods, fires, hurricanes, tornadoes