AmeriCorps Reaches 1 Million Members - Click to learn more

What expenses are considered to be “current educational expenses?”

Education expenses are considered “current” if they were incurred on or after the date the member began his or her term of AmeriCorps service.

Eligible educational expenses are based on:

  • The Cost of Attendance (COA) for a degree or certificate-granting program at a Title IV school.
  • Educational expenses for non-degree courses, such as continuing education courses offered by Title IV schools.
  • Educational expenses for enrollment in GI Bill-approved programs

Each Title IV school’s financial aid office can determine a student’s COA based upon standard U.S. Department of Education guidance. The COA may include tuition, books and supplies, transportation, room and board, and other expenses.

For non-degree educational courses at Title IV schools, the appropriate administrative office that oversees the course—for example the Business Office for a Title IV school's Continuing Education Department—can determine the expenses necessary for the course. Normally it includes tuition, books, and supplies.

For eligible individuals who are enrolled in G.I. Bill-approved programs, the school’s approved Certifying Official for VA courses determines the expenses based upon criteria developed by the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs.

Back to Top