How can I find out if I can use my education award at a G.I. Bill approved program?

Veterans may use their education awards for courses, programs of education, apprenticeships, and on-the-job training programs that have been approved by the Secretary of Veterans Affairs. Education awards can be used by non-veterans only during a narrow window based upon when the member’s eligibility for an education award was certified (approved) by an authorized program staff.

Here are the rules for using an award for educational programs that are G.I. Bill approved programs but the institution or establishment offering the program is not a Title IV school—these are called GI-Only programs:

  • An education award certified on December 23, 2011, and later, can be used for GI-Only programs only if the member is a veteran.
  • An education award certified between October 1, 2009, and December 22, 2011, can be used by both members who are veterans as well as non-veterans for GI-Only programs.
  • No education award that was certified prior to October 1, 2009, can be used at a GI-Only program, even if the member is a veteran.

Remember, if a G.I. Bill approved program is offered by a Title IV educational institution, any individual with an education award can use the award to enroll in the program because the school is Title IV.

Back to Top