Created by the Edward M. Kennedy Serve America Act of 2009, the Social Innovation Fund is a program that awards grants to and works with existing grantmaking institutions to direct resources to innovative community-based nonprofit organizations to identify, validate, and grow promising approaches to challenges facing local communities.
In FY 2011, CNCS will award a limited number of Social Innovation Fund grants to outstanding grantmaking institutions or “intermediaries.” These intermediaries will match every Federal dollar of the grant award in cash. They will then identify and invest at least 80% of their federal funds (plus identified cash matching funds) in portfolios of promising community-based nonprofit organizations (subgrantees) working in low-income communities in one or more of the following issue areas:
- Youth Development – Preparing America’s youth for success in school, active citizenship, productive work, and healthy and safe lives.
- Economic Opportunity – Increasing economic opportunities for economically disadvantaged individuals.
- Healthy Futures – Promoting healthy lifestyles and reducing the risk factors that can lead to illness.
Subgrantees will also match every dollar of their awards in cash and will utilize CNCS funding to produce measurable outcomes within a specific issue area and geographic area, evaluate their effectiveness and replicate and expand to serve more individuals.
Subject to the availability of appropriations, CNCS anticipates awarding up to approximately $28 million to a limited number (not expected to exceed five to ten) of new Social Innovation Fund intermediary organizations. CNCS expects to make annual awards in the range of $1 million to $7 million.
Applications are due by 5:00 p.m. Eastern Time on Tuesday, April 12, 2011. Applications must be submitted through the CNCS eGrants system.
4/11/2011 Note to Applicants:
- The NOFO instructions do not provide guidance for the narrative field titled: Clarification Summary. Please enter “N/A” in this section as it is not applicable to new grant applicants.
- Please remember that all SIF applicants must submit letters verifying 50% of the cash match to SIFapplication@cns.gov by the application deadline, 5:00 pm Eastern Time on Tuesday, April 12, 2011.