Otero County Department of Human Services
Through this project, the RSVP of Otero, Bent and Crowley counties will have 320 unduplicated volunteers. These volunteers will serve populations that include children, elderly, disabled individuals and veterans in our community.
The primary focus area for RSVP of Otero, Bent and Crowley counties is Healthy Futures. Specific service activities to be undertaken include:
* Provide transportation to medical appointments for the elderly, veterans, disabled and homebound.
* Help in food pantries that provide food for the needy.
* Provide respite care for caregivers who are unable to leave their homes without relief from others.
* Provide friendship and companionship to those individuals who are elderly, disabled or homebound to provide stimulation and socialization.
* Deliver meals to the homebound and the elderly.
* Volunteering in the community garden.
The expected outcome of these activities is to allow individuals to continue to live independently and to help make their daily lives better. There is a saying in one of our senior centers that says "If you rest, you rust!" We do not want any of our community members to rust. These services will be provided in Otero, Bent and Crowley counties in Colorado, in individual homes, food pantries and SAGE kitchens. We will have collaboration with a total of 50 volunteer stations in our tri-county area. Federal funding for RSVP of Otero, Bent and Crowley County is currently $37,323 and non-federal funding is $20,518.