The National Committee on Youth, Inc
AmeriCorps National Planning Grant FY 2011
The National Committee on Youth seeks an AmeriCorps National Planning Grant to develop College Corps. College Corps intends to bridge the gap between low income youth and college by working with students to increase scoring on college admission test such as ACT/PSAT, and college access. College Corps not only works to ensure high school graduation, but successful entry into college through academic engagement and support.
Key activities are the following:
* College admissions advising
* Financial aid advising (e.g., FAFSA completion, scholarship search)
* College and retention support
* Adult learner services supporting degrees/certificates
* Early awareness programs (particularly middle school) * Career exploration and/or career counseling
* College preparatory high school course selection assistance
* College entrance test preparation (ACT, SAT, MME)
* Academic enhancement (tutoring, study skills)
* College fairs/campus visits
* Family engagement services
We help to make the transition from high school to college a smooth one. We also mentor and keep track of our graduates and remain as an available resource to ensure the students success in college to result in graduation. Many programs try to help students to get in enrolled in college. However, a large percent of students face the "crash and burn" syndrome when first attending college. We keep our student abreast of realistic expectations.